Working Hard for Our Clients
Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Charlotte and the Rest of the Carolinas
Sometimes you need a workers’ compensation attorney. We help honest, hardworking people get the compensation and treatment they deserve following a work injury. Do not try to handle your case alone. If you need to speak with a lawyer, call us today for a complimentary consultation in English or Spanish.
No matter what kind of work-related injury you are facing, you need to know the facts. We have been helping Carolinians understand their rights and seek justice since 1957. We are aggressive, knowledgeable and compassionate, and we win cases.
When to Call an Attorney
There are many workers’ compensation scenarios in which we may be able to offer advice or intervention:
- Your insurance carrier denies your benefits; you cannot get medical treatment.
- Promised care or benefits never came through.
- Your employer denies you were hurt on the job.
- You are being asked to give a deposition or a statement.
About Workers’ Compensation
Workers’ compensation has been around in North Carolina since 1929. It is designed to get you back to work and ensure you are paid a wage while you recover. In turn, your employer is protected from civil liability and lawsuits.
Injured on the clock? Follow these five steps:
- Seek medical attention immediately for a serious injury. This may be through an on-site provider, one that is designated by your employer, a family doctor or the emergency room. Keep records of any treatment, attending doctors’ names and receipts.
- Give only broad details of the incident to avoid saying something that might work against you later. Innocent comments made in the heat of the moment can be used against your case. Be sure to mention that the incident happened at work and give treatment providers the name of your employer.
- Let your employer know about the injury and make it clear that it happened on the clock. Request, in writing, that your employer cover the cost of any treatment. The law gives you 30 days to do this. If you cannot do this yourself, enlist the help of a family member or trusted friend.
- Do not talk with an insurance carrier until you have had the chance to speak with a lawyer. It is best to have your attorney by your side when you make any statements on the record.
- Follow the directions of your health care provider so that you recover properly. Failure to follow these steps can jeopardize any claim you may pursue.
If your work-related injury leaves you disabled, you may be entitled to seek partial wages and compensation. The amount you receive depends upon the extent of your disabilities. The classifications of disability include:
- Temporary partial disability
- Temporary total disability
- Permanent partial disability
- Permanent total disability
Call a workers’ compensation attorney if your employer tries to put you back to work too soon, refuses to let you return to work, or offers you a replacement position that you do not find suitable.
Free Initial Consultation
Your consultation with an attorney at The Olive Law Firm is at no cost to you. We urge you to seek counsel before you give any statements to an insurance adjuster. If we help you pursue your case, you can be sure you are getting experienced and aggressive representation.